Today started the 1st Conference for Integrated Water Management, which was organized by CENGICANA, APIB, GREPALMA, ASAZGUA, and the ICC. The auditorium of CENGICANA was the place that welcomed the forum.
In the first day, more than 150 people joined the event, representing businesses of the agro industry, municipalities, mayors, spiritual leaders, among others. The following keynote sessions were held today:
- Water resources in the south: current status, challenges and progress for its integral management, by Alex Guerra, PhD.
- Water and sanitation, by Jose Perez (DEMUR)
- Legal and institutional conditions for the integrated management of water, by Salvador Montenegro (GWP)
- Experiences organizing the users of the waters of the Bolo River, Cauca Valley, Colombia, by Amalia Morales (ASOBOLO).
- Water storing, derivation, and distribution: the Arenal-Tempisque scenario in Costa Rica, Nelson Brizuela
- Topic session, water storing, conservation, and reuse, by Diego Perechu (ADRI), Fernando Barneond (Pantaleon), Gary Quinonez, Agroaceites, Jorge Calderon (La Union).
During the events, participants were able to broaden their knowledge about the current situation of water in the south, its quantity and quality based upon data and recent investigations, raise awareness about the current and future risks related to water that could impact the productive systems in the south either directly or indirectly, visualize and promote good practices when managing water in the south, and the propose potential solutions in integrated water use.
The event was sponsored by AquaCorp, Soluciones Analiticas Dilab, Pantaleon, and the European Union – ECHO.