The Private Institute for Climate Change Research (ICC), participates and joins efforts for the constitution of the Technical Table of the Ocosito River, as per the Governmental Agreement 19-2021.
During a meeting held last Thursday, July 15, 2021 in the department of Retalhuleu, Ignacio Arreaga, Departmental Governor, affirmed the objective of protecting the environment, especially water resources, considering it important to formalize the rational management of water resources in an efficient and effective way in times of scarcity. It was also deemed important to adopt strategies that serve to mitigate the impact of floods, to improve the conditions of all the inhabitants of the department and today, especially to manage and conserve the Ocosito River watershed, through the technical board and an integrated management of the resources.
“The Technical Table of the Ocosito River is the first in the country to be legally constituted as per the 19-2021 Governmental Agreement”, said the Departmental Government of Retalhuleu.
In the legal constitution of the Technical Table of the Ocosito River, four major agreements were signed:
1- To adopt mechanisms for the efficient use of water resources in the Ocosito River watershed.
2- To support the efforts that are part of an adequate water administration in the territory of the Ocosito River watershed.
3- To support initiatives for the collection, analysis, and management of information for the decision-making process, that lead to a sustainable management of water resources.
4- Encourage dialogue as a management tool for the administration of the resource and join efforts from the goal of the Technical Committee of the Ocosito River (COMCOSITO).
The following government and private entities participated in this activity:
- Vice-Ministry of Water of the MARN
- Departmental Governor of Retalhuleu
- Departmental Governor of San Marcos
- Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (MARN)
- Ministry of Agriculture, Livestock and Food (MAGA)
- Ministry of Public Health and Social Welfare
- National Forest Institute (INAB)
- National Council of Protected Areas (CONAP)
- Private Institute for Climate Change Research (ICC)
- Municipality of San Sebastián, Retalhuleu
- Palo Gordo Sugar Mill
- El Pilar Sugar Mill
- Company Agro Aceites
- Magdalena Sugar Mill.
- HAME Group
- Hydroelectric El Manantial
- Santa Elisa Farm
- Tamaxan Farm
During the meeting, the following recommendations were mentioned:
- To promote the participation of the different users in dialogue spaces, in order to better manage water resources.
- To continue the journey of identification of uses and users in the departments of Quetzaltenango and San Marcos.
- To establish an information baseline on the amount of water in the Ocosito River and its different uses.
The table is made up of representatives of public and private entities, that work to establish the technical route for the protection of the watershed and the rational use of water resources.
Guatemala is implementing a grant from the Global Environment Facility (GEF) to execute the Project “Promoting Sustainable and Resilient Territories in Landscapes of the Central Volcanic Chain in Guatemala”, whose national implementing partner is the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (MARN), and the implementing agency, the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).