It aimed at managing knowledge on research and initiatives in disaster risk management as well as making it available to decision makers in southern Guatemala. ICC carried out the symposium in partnership with CARE Guatemala and the consortium in charge of the project called “Public-private partnerships for disaster risk management in Guatemala”.
A number of professionals gathered to share their research related to different hazards that occur in this territory as well as vulnerability of different sectors. Here is the list of presentations of the symposium:
- Fuego Volcano, the 3rd of June eruption and its secondary hazards by Raul Salguero, INSIVUMEH
- The Fuego Volcano eruption and its historic and geographical aspects by Alex Guerra, ICC
- National and departmental response plans by Carlos Gamboa, SECONRED
- Fuego Volcano monitoring proposal by Rolando Herrera, UNDP
- Launch and dissemination of the Disaster Management Territorial Platform in Region II by Dora Salpec, CONRED
- Progress and challenges in regional coordination: experience of the Dialogue Platform on Disaster Risk Management in western Guatemala by Abdías Chávez, CARE Guatemala
- Community resilience assessment for floods and droughts in the lower part of the Coyolate River basin by Pablo Yax, ICC
- Evaluation of the flood early warning systems in Escuintla by German Alfaro, ICC
- Progress in municipal development and land use planning in southern Guatemala by Carlos Sazo, SEGEPLAN
- Analysis of flooding in the city center of Antigua Guatemala by Hernán Turcios, FAUSAC/ICC
- Public-private partnerships for emergency relief by Claudia Flores, Action Against Hunger
- Cost-benefit analysis of flood mitigation works and their contribution to socio-economic growth in Canoguitas, Nueva Concepción, Escuintla by Francisco Fuentes, ICC
The event took place in the CENGICAÑA Auditorium, Santa Lucía Cotzumalguapa. In the next few days all the presentations will be readily available.